Recent Posts

Friday, August 6, 2010

Easy, Schmeasy Beach Art

The girls found LOTS of shells at the beach.

And I was pumped because I remembered this post featuring a great way to display them at home without it looking tacky. I thought it was an excellent way to capture some beach memories while at the same time, creating a nice piece of decor. So, this is what we did...

I found a half price frame at Hobby Lobby and popped out the glass.

Then I covered the inside with some cool left over fabric I already had from an old sewing project.

Then we chose our favorite shells and hot glued them all the way around right onto the fabric.

We picked the best beach shot of the two shell collectors and stuck it right in the middle of their fabulous shells with straight pins. And that was it. It looks wonderful sitting on the dresser in our room. Beautiful memories captured. Love it.

And while I was at it....

I found an old frame I had used ages ago sitting in the bottom of our coat closet. Who knows how long it had been there. It was holding a painting Belle did when she was just a little thing. She was a budding Van Gogh, I know.

Using the same concept as the shell project, I popped out the glass and covered the back in a fun fabric I bought for $4 at Hobby Lobby. While there, I also picked up a small, dark frame for $4 and a $1.99 wooden S.

We painted the S a cool turquoise color to match the pop of color in my bathroom.

I took the back off the small frame, put in my favorite beach picture of the kids, then glued it, along with the S, onto the fabric in the frame. And there you have it... a cool piece of wall art on a very bare wall for around $10.

I think even Matt was impressed. And that's saying a lot!

9 comments:

Nel said...

How cool are those! I just love your creativity!

until next time... nel

Leanne said...

Angela, would you please come to my house!! I need cute, easy projects like these to decorate with! SO CUTE!! Love them both!

Sarah Fries said...

Great idea! Might have to steal that!

Dana Simshauser said...

Wow, Angela this is awesome! I love to do crafty things but don't want something tacky like a crochet toaster cover. ; ) Great ideas...I am going to copy both! Thanks for sharing. Love your blog!

The Jordon Family said...

I love it !!

Joy Junktion said...

That is great - So creative are you!!

Anonymous said...

Girl! You are so creative. You need to come down here and decorate my house!

kimberly

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Very creative! I love both of these ideas!

Kari Beth said...

so cute! you are so crafty! i might just have to steal that idea :)