Recent Posts

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Info I Wish I Would Have Known

I am learning so much about diabetes. It's mainly by trial and error. My endocrinologist cautioned me about believing everything I hear and read and to use good judgement and reliable sources. So, I am filtering a lot of what I hear. If I didn't, I think I would be scared to death by now.

What I mean to say is that I, by no means, understand the disease yet. So many people have asked me questions about it-some I can answer and some I can't. I'll figure it all out... hopefully. Mainly, though, people have asked me what my symptoms were. So, I read up on some of the literature and compared it to my experience. And here's what I came up with:

FATIGUE: I was CRAZY exhausted 24/7. Diabetics stop using glucose for fuel, and instead, use fat. (Hence, the next symptom.)

UNEXPLAINED WEIGHT LOSS: I lost somewhere between 10-15 pounds in around 3 months time. Diabetics can't process calories in some of the foods they eat. Even though they may be eating crazy amounts of food, the weight comes off.

EXCESSIVE THIRST: I can't begin to tell you how much I was drinking a day. I literally could not get enough to drink. My endocrinologist says this is a HUGE red flag.

INCREASED URINATION: SEE ABOVE! Plus, this adds to the weight loss issue.

EXCESSIVE EATING: I pretty much ate my face off for months. I am not exaggerating even a little. Every. Thing. In. Sight.

ALTERED MENTAL STATUS: This is a hard one to admit to, but it is so true. The technical terms are, "agitation, unexplained irritability, inattention, extreme lethargy, or confusion." I dealt with every one of these. Ask Matt. No, don't.

BLURRY VISION: I am still dealing with this one. I went for an eye check up before I was diagnosed, so I did not not know to tell my doctor I was a diabetic. He was surprised at how much trouble I was having focusing. My prescription increased greatly, and I am still having issues. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Again, PLEASE don't assume I think I'm an expert at all this. I know SO little. But I think people should know the signs. I didn't, and I let it go much too long.

My mother-in-law has a sweet friend who sent her a link to give to me. If you go HERE and fill out the information, you can get a FREE OneTouch Ultra MiniMeter. So, if you have blood sugar issues or have someone close to you who does, you can stay on top of things. PLUS it comes in like six cute colors. So important when you're trying to be a chic, fashionable diabetic. I, of course, went with pink.



These do not come with strips, and strips are not cheap. But it is so worth purchasing one box to keep on hand.

By the way, all this information is completely free. Aren't you glad you stopped by?

2 comments:

Marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marti said...

Yes, I am always glad to stop by your blog! I hope everything keeps getting better and better for you!