Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just Another Post about Fear

I love this picture of Grandma. It's always been one of my favorites. She was in her twenties when it was taken, somewhere in California, and is the only picture in existence of her on a beach.

I remember when I was a very little girl, asking her, "But why didn't you look at the camera?" And her answer? She told me she was terrified of the water and was afraid it might pull her in when she wasn't looking. Even as a little girl, I remember that seeming like such a sad answer. She was at the ocean, a place she always wanted to see, and yet she was so afraid of it, she couldn't enjoy or appreciate its beauty.

I realize, sometimes, that's exactly how I approach things in my own life. I talk a lot on here about fear, and that's mainly because it is, and has always been, the greatest obstacle I face in my day to day life. I have allowed fear to hold me back over and over again, and it's only until recently that I have begun trying to face it head on with scripture, books by people/authors I respect, and just being very open and honest about my struggle.

How sad to miss out on life's beauty, our ultimate life, because of fear. Websters says fear means to drive or force by frightening. I don't want to be driven by anything other than God's will for my life. When I'm forced by fear, I'm travelling down paths that were never meant for me. I want to be on His path, doing what He's called me to do, and doing it with a spirit of courage, knowing He means it when he says, ...

because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

I think we all have our own raging sea at our backs. It's so tempting to turn around and stare until it paralyzes us where we are. Believe me... if ever there were an expert in this department, I'm your girl. But I'm working on it. I'm trying to be "strong and courageous."

Oh, and Grandma... water was undoubtedly one of her biggest fears. She was terrified of it. But on July 21st, 1985, she walked out into it, holding my hand and the preacher's, and we were baptized, together. She was sixty-three, and it was the first and last time she ever went under water. Talk about strong and courageous... I had a great example.

6 comments:

Sandi Mitchell said...

This is awesome....thanks for the encouraging words. I just love reading your blog and posts.

Kate Spears said...

what a beautiful story about your grandma and you being baptized. that is incredible.

i struggle with fear's little bro, worry. time and time again i say "i'm laying this down" but then i always manage to pick it up again. i just know that when i'm resting in Him, peace is going to be the product....not fear or worry or any other bad thing. so glad to have supports like you as we walk our journeys. love!

Aimee Bryan said...

Wow, what an amazing word Angela! What an AWESOME experience to be baptized with your grandma. I don't know anything about your past, but it seems that your relationship with her was very special and important. Iknow all about that. I was named after my gma Amy and she lead me to great life decisions. After she lost my gpa and her eye sight she lived with Ammorae and I until she passed away. She changed my life forever and I pray that I can have a positive impact upon someone like that someday.

Unknown said...

It is so wonderful to read that you were baptized with your grandmother. I did not know that!! She was a great lady, and I loved her, and I know that you miss her every single day.

I am glad that you are learning to face your fears Angela. One step at a time and lots of prayer will get you where you want to be. Jesus holds your hand...

SZM said...

what a great story!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Beautiful. And true. And courageous. I love that you were baptized together. What an amazing memory.