Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My favorite Christmas Candy

Each year before Christmas the girls in our family get together to make Christmas candies/goodies. Yesterday was the day, and as always, we ended the day with tons of sugary treats. I wish I could share all the recipes, but I will share my favorite.

For two years now, I have made a recipe I found called Almond Joy candy. I can't even remember where I found it, but it is really really good. If you like Almond Joy candy bars, you'll die for this.

Almond Joy Candy

3/4 cup (or 1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pound (5 1/3 cups) sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups toasted almonds, chopped
2 cups (12-ounces) milk or semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening

Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.Melt butter in large saucepan, add milk and vanilla, mixing well. Stir in coconut and almonds and mix well. Press into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm.Invert pan, peel off paper and cut candy into small squares. Melt chocolate and shortening in double boiler over simmering water; dip candy pieces in chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and allow to dry at room temperature. Store tightly covered at room temperature. Makes about 4 pounds candy.

I have not mastered the art of dipping them properly into the chocolate. I usually put the pieces down on wax paper and spread the melted chocolate on top. They aren't the prettiest thing to look at, but the taste is amazing.


Happy Christmas candy making!

2 comments:

Kim Hon said...

Yum!!!!! This looks amazing!!! I was wondering when you were gonna post. Love you guys and hope you have the best Christmas ever!!!!

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

Hi Angela! Just wanted to let you know that I received my cake today from Kisses of Kahlua. Thanks again for the giveaway!