Recent Posts

Monday, December 13, 2010

Just Bump the Bunny

You may have heard me talk about the Danger Ranger from time to time. For those who may not know, the Danger Ranger is how we referred to Matt's vehicle. I'm not certain on the year, but I'm guessing it was an early 80's model Ford Ranger. It was his primary mode of transportation for more than four years.

No heat. No air. Interior falling apart. Oil guzzler. Required much coaxing to start from time to time. He drove it to work every single day and didn't complain not once. Not ONCE.

When we lived in Siloam and he drove Belle to school in the winter, I had to tuck her under several blankets, and Matt said her teeth chattered all the way through town every morning. In the summer, I would put her hair in a tight ponytail so the open windows wouldn't blow it into a mess.

When Estella Dru became old enough to go to school, they decided they were embarrassed to ride with Daddy and begged for him to get a new car. Matt just laughed and told them they should be proud of the Danger Ranger.

But it was time.... Time for something new. Something safer for the kids. And warmer.

This weekend we were blessed to get into a new car. A used Toyota Camry. One with heat. And air. And enough room for all my kids to ride in their car seats safely.

I thought my girls would be ecstatic. Instead, when we went to leave the Danger Ranger for good, they ran out and begged us not to go without it. It had to be below 30 degrees, and before I knew it, they ran outside without their coats, and held on to that stupid truck for dear life.


Somewhere in their sweet little minds, they knew it had served them well.

The new car, though, is a bit bigger than the Danger Ranger, and Matt was concerned I might not be able to park it safely in the garage next to the 4-Runner. When I opened the garage door, this is what I saw.


When I looked at him, he said, "Just bump the bunny, Ang. All you gotta do is bump the bunny."

I know. It's mortifying. And creepy. But actually quite useful. Here is a quick demo.



I won't lie. I do not miss that Danger Ranger. I am grateful for it. So grateful. It saved us when we had nothing, but I am SO relieved to finally be in something new. And grateful for a selfless husband who never wants for himself.

3 comments:

Kate Spears said...

my dad had an old old bmw with no heat and we called it the professor because it looked like it was wearing glasses! i love this post so much. can we print up some bumper stickers that say "just bump the bunny" and pretend like it's some new trend?

Superchikk said...

I felt the same way about the Blue Bomb. It served us well and it was sad to give it up, but I'm so glad Chris has a new(er) dependable vehicle now! And I love the bunny. We have some extra wiffle golf balls we used for our garage parking placement things, if you decide the bunny is too...much...for you. :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

We name all of our cars. John sold his 97 Dodge Stratus (affectionately named 'Ole Black) last year and the kids' all cried. They weren't crying when they found out his new car had SEAT WARMERS!!! (Where we live that's a big bonus!)