Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tico.

I swore I wouldn't share this with anyone, and here I am about to blog about it. I'm a sucker for a funny story.

It happened the week before Christmas. My house was a wreck. The kids were a wreck. I was the biggest wreck. No make up. Still in pajama pants and a sweat shirt. Scary. So very scary.

I had just taken Jeb to the potty when the doorbell rang. I wanted to ignore it, but I have frosted glass on the front door. Whoever it was must have already spotted the girls who were being much too loud in the living room. I had no choice. I left Jeb to finish his big boy business and went to answer the door.

Half way there, I remembered how hideous I looked. Again, I wanted to ignore the door, but by this time, the girls were screaming, "Mama! Somebody's at the door!" at 989 decibels.

Really? Thanks, girls.

So I swallowed my pride and opened the door to find a delivery guy standing there with a package. I tried to play it cool and made a pitiful excuse for my scary appearance and my disaster of a house. By this time the girls are standing on either side of me in their crazy-hair, 1/2 pjs 1/2 normal clothes, orphan-like state, staring at the poor guy like they haven't seen another human being in months, drooling at the package in his hand. If he wasn't terrified at that point, he should have been.

I signed the little thingy as fast as I could, handed it back to him, and... this is when it really goes downhill... I handed it back to him and said, "Tico."

Tico. Never heard that word? Oh, maybe because it's not really a word. It's a character on Dora the Explorer. Explanation: When Belle was teeny tiny, she LOVED Dora. And for some reason, her word for "thank you" was "tico." She said "tico" for years, and it just stuck with us. So from time to time, instead of "thank you" we say, "tico." But. Not. To. Strangers. Delivering. Packages.

The poor man did a double take at me after the word came out of my mouth. I wanted to turn back time and somehow reel it back in, but it was too late. I started to at least attempt an explanation when Jeb came running out the bathroom, thinking someone he knew was there. He busted out of the front door at the guy and stopped dead in his tracks. Dead in his COMPLETELY NAKED tracks. Oh yes. My son was fresh off the potty with not a stitch on.

The guy just laughed, but I'm pretty sure it was a desperate attempt not to scream. I told him, "bye," but what I really wanted to say was, "It's ok to run."

I scooped Jeb up, escaped back into the house as fast as I could, and locked the door behind us. If delivery people have a little black book where they flag people as "crazy," make no mistake... I have been flagged.

And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, as I was putting Jeb's pants back on, he looked at me and smiles, then says, "Mommy, you a printhess." I gave him a big hug. I totally needed to hear that I was a princess. I told him, "thank you" and then, from the couch, I hear Belle say, "He means your crown."

My what?

I feel on top of my head and pull off a plastic, purple, feathery, bejeweled tiara. I barely remembered when Jeb put it there while I was talking on the phone earlier that morning. Awwwwwwe. Some.

And here's what I told God.... "God, If I were a prideful person, I would totally understand that lesson. Maybe learn from it even. But since I'm NOT... I'm pretty sure You just needed the laugh."

But I guess if there IS a moral to be found to my story it would be... even when I look like a mess to the world, I'm still a princess to my son. That's a pretty big honor. Maybe the biggest. Tico, Jeb. Tico.

14 comments:

Tire Swing Mom said...

That was hilarious! Don't those delivery men come at the worst times? LOL

Virginia C said...

Tico. I loved the story. I need a good cleansing laugh this morning and you supplied it.
Tico.

Superchikk said...

Love it! So glad you shared.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Tico for the laugh...that's pretty funny stuff.

Kate Spears said...

This cracks me up! I think you should wear a purple tiara all the time. We have our own little funny words for things in my family....and even when I don't say them for years, sometimes they just slip out. My brother wouldn't eat beans when he was little, but somehow calling them "banjos" got him to eat them. Who knows?

Leanne said...

That is SO funny! You always make me laugh! :)

Liz said...

Just killed myself laughing. I love it! Pretty sure we all have some of those shining moments, but thanks for sharing yours!! I LOVE your little family.

Karen said...

I am literally laughing out loud reading this!! That is an awesome story...you can't make stuff like that up! For some reason Noah has always said 'deee' for 'Yes'.
"Noah, do you want a cookie?" "DEEE!!!" And more than once I have had to stop myself mid-word from answering a question with dee. : )

Sarah Fries said...

That is great! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this world of perfect people!!!

And we still say "tico" too!

Aimee Bryan said...

I LOVE IT! Stuff like this happens to us ALL the time. But we hardly ever get embarrassed or mortified anymore. We are different and we LIKE it! (except with Jeff, he is WAY different and he does sometimes make us all want to pretend like we don't know him)
BTW, Tico has a lot of fans. My girls love him too!

Kelsey said...

AH! I read your post earlier and meant to leave a comment, oh my word that made me laugh out loud! Too funny!! Tico for the laugh! =)

Jill said...

Hil.A.Ri.Ous!!!!! Porter is staring at me asking why I'm laughing. :) Love it!

Ben and Kristen said...

I'm about to pee my pants from laughing so hard. I'm probably going to have to share this with my mops group. Thank you for sharing!

Courtney said...

the best blog that I.have.ever.read. hands down. Just read it to Matt and you had us both dying laughing. I couldn't read it half the time because I was laughing so hard. thank you. I love this blog.