Recent Posts

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pulling from the archives: Cupcake family tree

I stole these pictures from a post I did in 2009. I got the idea from this cookbook...
...and made a family tree out of cupcakes to celebrate Matt's grandmother's birthday.

I made an easy box mix for the cupcakes, tinted some icing with food coloring for a nice skin color, and used melting chocolate dyed with a little food coloring for the hair. It would have been much better to use mini M&Ms for different eye colors, but since I couldn't find any anywhere, I went with tube icing. The noses are jelly beans, and the mouths are Starbursts. You really just have to play with it all to get it work the way you like. (The cookbook gives MUCH better instructions than I can here. It's got some amazing ideas if you like to play with cupcakes. A great buy.)

I painted a tree on a large piece of white cardboard and placed 'everyone' in their proper places on the family tree. Here it is... Gran and Grandpa's legacy... in cupcake form.



Gran and Grandpa. (I love Gran's glasses.)

Pat and Sarah's family. (Owen is my favorite.)

I got a little carried away with Sarah's hair. Sorry, Sarah.

Gigi and G-Pops.

Jeb eating his cupcake self. Look how little he was.

Our family. Pretty sure I captured Matt perfectly.

This project was time consuming, but so worth it and very fun to watch everyone eat their cupcake selves. I think this would be fun to do for a little girl party and make a different cupcake for each little girl in her likeness. Maybe someday....

3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You are SOOOOO creative. Love this idea.

Tire Swing Mom said...

Cute idea!

Unknown said...

Loved seeing these pictures. Thanks again for making my birthday so special! Gran