Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Girls, you are best friends!"

My girls.

I can't begin to express how much I love those two. They are precious. And crazy beautiful. And smart. And creative.

And 95% of the time, if they are together, they are fighting. (And that is a conservative percentage.)

Oooops. Wrong picture.

When I found out Estella Dru was on the way (when Belle was only seven months old), I was shocked to say the least. When we learned we were having another girl everyone... and I mean everyone... said something along these lines.... "Oh----! How exciting. They're going to be the best of friends."

Well, folks... shows how much you know.

I know.... I know.... They're young. The best friends part will come. But there are days when I find myself in tears at how my girls are constantly at one another. No joke--on Sunday we took them to see Santa, and they got into a fight while sitting on his lap. Then last week, I confiscated a picture from Belle she had hidden in her room. It was a drawing she made of her sister, with a thought bubble that read, "I'm Dru and I stink."

Ok, it's a little funny. But it does wear on me. I grew up by myself with Grandma and Grandpa. I remember feeling so lonely in that house. And my girls never have to feel that way. They always have each other, and most of the time, they fight their time together away or spend it incessantly tattling. I wonder how many times a week I point my finger at them and say, "Girls! You are best friends whether you know it or not! Do you hear me? Now act like it!" I'm sure that's doing wonders for the situation.

I have been praying so much for them lately--praying for them to realize that their life-long, die-for-you-without-a-thought, loyal, best friend is right in front of them and to treat each other with respect and love. They are so blessed to be sisters, and I'm hoping they realize that blessing soon. I would have given anything for a sister.

Until then I'll keep soaking up those moments when I see their love for each other peek out. An unsolicited hug here and there. Sharing a piece of gum without prompting. Those nights when we go to tuck them in and they're in bed together. Those are the moments that make my heart soar.

So maybe we're not to the best friend part yet. But I'm praying those two will grow into beautiful young women, leaning on each other, praying for each other, and loving each other through all of it. I have a feeling it's going to be amazing to watch.

7 comments:

Aimee Bryan said...

That is soooo sweet. It's awesome that you've been able to get passed the nerve racking part of it and think beyond, to those years when they will call each other on the phone and work out each others problems. I am alreay praying for the day when mine are 12, 14, 15,16 and 22. One 12 year old right now feels like it's going to be the end of me. I am going to use that "Girls, you are best friends..." Someday, I will tell them they have you to blame, I mean thank.

KStew93 said...

Angela... Just a word of encouragement: Alyssa and I fought for years and years and years and years. Really. But we are DEFINITELY best friends now. It took long enough, but it was well worth the wait. It's like we were fighting one day, and then she left for college. I kid you not, the day after she left, I was in tears. Me? Missing my sister? Never! Haha. But really, it will come. It takes longer than it should, but I think our friendship is stronger for that. :)

Just sayin'. Ha

Unknown said...

As the mother of two daughters and as a sister, believe me when I tell you it will come. It seems that the conflict is just a normal part of sisterhood. Once they get older, they will laugh about the fights, but mostly remember all the good times they had growing up together. I know how much I love my own sister and how much my daughters love each other. So hang in there, this too will pass!!!

Erica said...

I always dreamed of my little boys being best friends as well. And they've been fighting since day 1. I'm like you. I just do my best and pray ALOT. Hopefully that relationship that I long for them to have will come. I think the biggest problem with them is that they are so competitive.... must be the testosterone... ;)

Gina said...

My sister and I are closer to 3 years apart and we fought like those cats you've pictured...until we were married (my poor parents...20+ years of our crap!!). Now? We are absolutely BFFs. My girls (7, 6 and about to be 5) are paying me back for my raising. There are times that they are wonderful to one another but there are times...ugh. I'm sure my screeching "BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER. BE LOVING TO YOUR SISTER!" goes a loooong way. ;) I just pray we get through these years pretty quickly!!

Boni Williamson said...

I'm going through the SAME thing in my house and secretly dread the day Catherine is old enough to get in on the action! I had a younger brother and yes, we fought some, but not like my girls do...not every.waking.moment!

I am so glad I'm not the only one. I tell my girls all the time "You are best friends! And, best friends do NOT treat each other that way!" :)

It will come...I know it will! (If I don't repeat that daily, I might go insane!)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My sister is 15 months younger than me and we fought like crazy through high school. It was some better in college, but the friend thing really didn't happen for us until we were both married. Now? I talk to her almost every day and lament the fact that she lives so far away.

It will come...and hopefully for your girls it will come sooner than it did for us.

My own two girls are SO sweet to each other and I hope it stays that way forEVER. I tell them all the time how lucky they each are to have a sister. I wonder if it's an age thing. They're almost 4 years apart. Hmmmm.