Recent Posts

Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year

A song has been playing over and over without ceasing in my head. Has that ever happened to you? A song or a quote or some sort of echoing words that kept returning to your thoughts when you least expected it and you knew... just KNEW... it wasn't coincidence but God speaking to you? That's me and this song. Matt and I have been praying... a lot. And talking... a lot lately about the new year and what it will bring. Big changes. Big commitments. Big, scary steps in faith. Some steps that should already have been taken and some that are on the horizon and God is calling us to the 'poised and ready' position. Scary. So scary. The familiar becomes so safe, and so we plant ourselves there, then look around one day and years have passed. Lives that can be extraordinary remain ordinary and ineffective because of fear of the unknown and consistent refusals to hear and heed God's call. And so we get caught in the middle of life. I. Do. Not. Want. To. Be. Found. In. The. Middle. Another. Day. Of. My. Life. I love this song and the beauty of its truth. The lyrics alone don't do it justice. Download it. Somewhere in the Middle by Casting Crowns.

Somewhere between the hot and the cold
Somewhere between the new and the old
Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be
Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me

Somewhere between the wrong and the right
Somewhere between the darkness and the light
Somewhere between who I was and who You're making me
Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control

Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle
Are we caught in the middle

Somewhere between my heart and my hands
Somewhere between my faith and my plans
Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves

Somewhere between a whisper and a roar
Somewhere between the altar and the door
Somewhere between contented peace and always wanting more
Somewhere in the middle You'll find me

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control

Lord, I feel You in this place and I know You're by my side
Loving me even on these nights when I'm caught in the middle